The hall continues to be used as a venue for a wide variety of village clubs, local events and some private functions. We have continued to subsidise the cost of hiring the hall for local people and clubs, by generating income from our own events such as concerts, well dressing teas, attic sales and, of course, the annual pantomime.
During 2013 we started a two-year programme to review, refresh and, where necessary, renew the main systems that give safety and comfort to the users of the hall. The safety of volunteers and the users has been underpinned further with updated management processes and rigorous testing regimes. We have also been working on the building infrastructure – for example, this year we have refurbished the main hall floor, extended the coverage of our smoke alarm system, installed new fire doors to reduce the risk of fire spreading, improved the performance of our heating system, and started the introduction of energy-efficient LED lighting in high usage areas.
We are a registered charity and rely solely on the income generated from bookings, fund raising events or donations.
We currently offer the hall out in half-day or whole evening sessions. This works for some, but many only require a shorter hire period. So from April, like the vast majority of village halls across the county, we are moving to hourly pricing. This will give people choice – for example, if you want to hire the main hall for your party – no problem, but you will have to pay for all the time you use. However, if you prefer, you can now do all the preparation off-site and just hire the hall for a much shorter time. So, a local person can have a children’s party for 3 hours in the main hall for £21.60 (less than half you would pay at similar sized halls in the area).
Not everything will be cheaper – some activities will be slightly more expensive, some facilities will now be charged for additionally and, for example, we will no longer be offering any discounts for private commercial hire, irrespective of where the hirer resides. However, to encourage usage that benefits the community we will offer discounts to certain groups (or individuals). In a short article like this, it is not possible to explain all the details, but to give you an idea how this will work in practice, here are some more examples: start a local badminton club in the Main Hall for 2 hours a week – £12; or a craft group in the Social Room for a couple of hours – £7; or an evening book club in the Committee Room, again for a couple of hours - £5; or how about organising a local yoga group for a one hour session in the Social Room for £3.50…..
▪ Main Hall £12 per hour commercial minimum hire period 2 hours,
▪ Social Room £7.50 per hour commercial £5 local
▪ Committee Room £5 per hour commercial £3 local
\Booked time must include sufficient time to set up and clear away after the booking. Youlgrave Village Hall does not charge VAT.
Bookings in the Main Hall where there is potential to disturb hirers elsewhere in the building (e.g. private parties, public events) are required to book the Social Room too.
▪ Community, club or group activities in the Village Hall that are open to and advertised to the general public may attract a 50% discount on the room hire charges. This would include clubs exercise or similar classes and instruction classes. All these activities may qualify for a discount but must be open to general Public or Community. Members Only activities or events are not eligible.
▪ Private events from recognised groups / clubs organised by residents of Youlgrave, Middleton by Youlgrave and Alport may attract a 40% discount on their room hire charges.
▪ Rehearsals for a performance at Youlgrave Village Hall may attract a discount of 50% (no other discounts will apply).
▪ Booking multiple rooms for an event will qualify for an additional 15% off the total Room hire charges.
▪ Hire of Social Room storage cupboard: £48 / year
▪ Use of Stage Lighting / PA facilities: £25 if trained, £45 with support. Bond £100
▪ Use of Kitchen / Crockery / Glass Ware / Cutlery for an event: £10. No charge is made for the ▪ kitchen when used for preparing solely teas & coffees or soft drinks.
▪ Use of table linen & tea towels: £10
▪ Good Usage Bond: Bond for parties and other high risk events, £100
▪ Wekenders: £5 per day and £9 per night. Minimum spend of £120 per 24 hour period of use
GDPR Privacy Notice
Youlgrave Village Hall uses personal data for the purposes of managing the hall, its bookings and finances, running and marketing events at the hall and fund raising activities. Data may be retained for up to 7 years for accounts purposes and for longer where required by the hall’s insurers. If you would like to find out more about how we use personal data or want to see a copy of information about you that we hold, please contact the hall secretary.